Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Price of Freedom - Predictions and Prologue

As you might have guessed, I have been waiting for this book for a while. Certain friends have recommended it to me, and told me to read it as soon as possible. Yet, however, I hadn't found the time or resources to find the book until today, and now, long story short, I have it in my hands, and my Pirates of the Caribbean journey has begun a new leg.

Before I officially start reading, I am publicly going to make some predictions about what I think the book is going to have, and as I go I will evaluate these predictions... you know how this works.

So here are Faryl's predictions for The Price of Freedom:


  1. Jack Sparrow is in this
  2. Jack Sparrow is explained
  3. Some random crap happens with an ancient civilization
  4. Something something something princesses
  5. I probably won't care about 1-4
  6. Beckett is explained, evaluated upon, and hopefully made awesome
  7. I probably won't be paying attention for half the b- SHINY.

Hopefully, at least some of these are right.

Prologue:
Zerzura: The Lost City

My prediction about the ancient civilization crap is proven accurate as our story begins in the palace of the ancient city of Zerzura (which sounds like a Pokemon name to me - Zoroark? Zoura? Zubat?). The first character we are introduced to is the Pharaoh, who so far looks like he's had some pretty weird crap happen to him, and apparently this is a good thing. The first thing he does as soon as he wakes up from his dream (because it is evident that he does have a dream of some sort - we don't know what it is yet but it sounds important, at least) is put some degree of clothing on before immediately knowing where to go next. So far, I am not seeing the importance of this, besides the fact that Zerzura was mentioned in the summary once or twice (because I'm the type to actually see what the book is about before I read it). So far, I am only seeing this as an introduction to the "lost city" and really having nothing to do with the story itself. Then again, I don't have much more background on the story than already knowing how it ends knowing it's about Jack and Beckett and some random ancient civilization, so I'm not one to judge so far.

The Pharaoh's destination happens to be one of his children's bedrooms, and it is soon apparent which one it is.

"There, as he had known he would, he found his queen, Tiyy. She was sitting at the bedside of their youngest son, Prince Aniba, gently stroking his brow and muttering to him, as the six-year-old prince's nursemaid carefully sponged the child's bared chest with cool water. Taharka [the Pharaoh] winced when he saw the marks of his little son's ribs beneath his skin."


Hoo boy, right away the author is going to start tugging at our heartstrings. It goes on to explain that Prince Aniba had fallen ill with a fever just a month earlier, and he was slowly dying as time went on. Not a very creative way to kill off a minor character, since illness has been done to death (heh, I slay me sometimes), but, again, I can't judge. But I digress, the attempt to jerk our emotions to life is soon followed by a heartwarming, "awwww"-inspiring (again, only I thought this attempt was funny) conversation between the pharaoh Taharka and his son.

"The Pharaoh nodded. 'Good, good,' he said, 'Soon you will be well, and we shall go together in my chariot to the royal preserve to see the lions. You shall ride with me, and you may help me drive my horses!'
For a second, the child's wan features brightened into a genuine smile, as a flash of the real Prince Aniba showed through the wasted flesh. 'Oh, yes, Father!' he said. 'You will let me hold the reins? And we can see the lions?'
'You have my word as pharaoh that we will do it as soon as you are strong enough, my son,' Taharka said, touching the sacred bracelet that he never removed..."


I will say that this author, though seeming to be dedicated to writing nonsense that only indirectly relates to Pirates so far, seems good enough at tugging at the heartstrings to actually make me want to cry because part of me just knows Aniba is going to die sometime in the book (because you know books are like that). So when that happens (or, heaven forbid, if it happens) expect something like that to happen to me.

But it's not likely to happen as I do not cry at anything. Not even Toy Story 3.


then again i did cry immediately during The Rescuers when "Someone's Waiting for You" started i need to set my priorities in order


So the young prince falls asleep, and Taharka takes his wife outside for a likely unrelated conversation about something that seems totally unrelated to Pirates until later in the story when everything comes together and i'm just like OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH. Reading a bit further, I realize that the conversation is relevant to something, and it was what I should have probably expected before. The pharaoh has his wife step into his office (figuratively, like the common phrase 'STEP INTO MY OFFICE', which is probably not used as often anymore as I hoped) as he tells her about the dream he had.

Faryl's Interpretation of the Pharaoh's Dream:
something something something a talking lion something something cure for Prince Aniba something something go over the rainbow.

This has been Faryl's interpretation.


As you can see, I really couldn't be bothered to copy the whole thing word for word, but it basically said that Taharka's certain Egyptian god in the form of a talking lion - joining the ranks of Aslan and RRRRRRRUMBLEROAR - telling Taharka that in order to find the cure for Aniba, he must leave Zerzura - on the island of Kerma - and pursue something or other. I only got the important details. So the rest of the prologue is basically Tiyy's opinion of the whole thing, them bickering for a little bit about it, and then a brief description about Taharka's magic bracelet for... some... reason?

Maybe magic bracelets is your thing.

But anyway, join me next time as I actually begin the story of the hilarity that ensues between Jack Sparrow and his non-canon friends and something that involves Beckett once every blue moon. When is it going to be posted? I don't know. But look for it anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment